I’m not going to sugar coat this post, it’s a stick to your ribs soup.
Soup Base ( In a pot place >)
- Chicken – Drumsticks or Wings , raw with or without the skin and no deboning.
- Water to cover the chicken
- Chicken Bouillon – 2 to 4 cubes or packets ( Big batch add 4)
- Garlic can be added here as well.
Let this come to a boil while you peel and cut the veggies. Add Salt and Pepper if you’d like at this point as well, I just add pepper the bouillon is already salty.
- Onion ( med half / or med whole for a big batch)
- Tomato (cut in quarters)
- Potato ( this is cooks choice, we used a Russet peeled cut in quarters )
- Guisquil (Chayote for everyone else, I like a lot!) ** Warning you will need to peel this, if you hold it for too long your hand will feel like it has super glue on it . Don’t freak just keep washing it till it rubs off **
- Calabcita or Zucchini
- Garlic to your taste
Get the carrots in quick, they need longer to cook, also the onion and tomatoes. Once the chicken looks like it getting cooked add the rest of the vegetables. You want to add the squashes last as they well take the shortest amount to cook. No real amounts on this recipe, because it up to you how much you want to make. I made a big batch last night with 1 carrot , 1 onion, 2 lbs of chicken, 3 guisquils, and a whole bunch of cilantro. You can add pasta to the soup, I used pasta stars. But any kind of pasta will do, whatever you have on hand.
Also place your cut potatoes and squash in a bowl of cold water, this help keep the potatoes from browning in the air.
Very good Cilantro Cutting Video!